1186 Miller Ave Berkeley from AFG on Vimeo.
On a deep lot in the Berkeley hills sits this extensively rebuilt, dramatic, level-in contemporary home with 4 bedrooms, 3.5 bathrooms, a family room, verandas, decks and a large park-like backyard. It has a great floor-plan with an open, inviting main floor well suited for entertaining, 3 bedrooms and 2 baths (including a master suite) on the middle level, anchored by a family room, bedroom and bathroom on the lowest level. The house is infused with natural light throughout and ten foot ceilings on the upper 2 levels give it a feeling of dramatic space and volume.
The spacious entry on the main level is generous and welcoming, leading one to the spectacular open floor plan featuring filtered S.F. Bay views and picturesque green outlooks. A deck and covered veranda or loggia allow for a wonderful indoor-outdoor flow. The loggia is a perfect outdoor room, private, somewhat protected from the elements and warmed by the horizontal Red Cedar walls. The view of a majestic grove of redwood trees is so beautifully framed through the loggia opening that it looks like a painting. And oh those beautiful sunsets! The main floor also has a convenient 2 car garage with interior access.
Completing the main level is a custom gourmet kitchen with high-end appliances and a spacious island. Slate counter-tops combined with a marble back-splash and custom walnut cabinetry create a functional, contemporary yet timeless gathering space for friends and family.
The stairs leading down to the living spaces on the middle level are lit by a sleek light fixture at night and by natural light from the windows by day. The spa-like master suite features a serene view and a gas fireplace, together with a walk-in rain shower and modern free-standing tub. A second covered veranda is accessible from two bedrooms including the master suite, perfect for a quiet sitting area or other creative uses. The three bedrooms on the middle level are served by a large double hall closet and a conveniently located laundry area with exit doors on either side of the house.
The house is equipped with energy efficient systems and appliances throughout, including 2 on-demand water heaters and 2 furnaces, one zoned for the 2 lower levels and one for the top level. In addition, it has a fresh air heat recovering system serving all levels and a video intercom, which allows the occupant to see who is outside the front door. All the toilets and sinks are Toto. It has a built-in vacuum system with an outlet on each floor.
The main level has built-in speakers with wiring hidden inside one of the living room cabinets. Contemporary gas fireplaces are located in the living room and the master bedroom. There is abundant storage throughout the house, including two large walk-in closets.
The terraced park-like backyard, which has an automated sprinkler system, is accessed from the lower level deck and also through the side door on the middle level. Lots of possibilities - a vegetable garden? Chickens? A children’s playhouse? A waterfall? Pool?
With Tilden Park just steps away, it is close to U.C. Berkeley and minutes from the amenities of “Gourmet Ghetto” and downtown Berkeley.
Fine materials throughout include the following:
· Black slate counter-tops in the kitchen, the living room and various bathrooms
· Engineered 2-tone wide plank oak floors with a 50-year manufacturer finish warranty throughout
· Bertazzoni range and double oven
· Kitchenaid side-by-side refrigerator and freezer
· White marble back-splash
· Miele dishwasher
· Gaggenau range hood
· Deep stainless steel Kraus double sink with stainless steel bottom grids
· The LBL Interlace Suspension light fixtures in the dining room and over the stairs are eco- friendly, energy efficient LED’s, they are adjustable and they can tilt.
· The light fixture above the kitchen island is a Parallax Linear Suspension pendant that is eco-friendly and energy efficient.
· Steel railings and handrails
· The middle level bedroom off the veranda has a unique, creative pull-out closet.
· A drainage system carries storm water away from the house.
· Bonus craft room/office located on the middle level next to the mechanical room.
Large basement off family room could be a wine cellar.
House: 4,040 sf Lot: 7,650 sf